Debit Card – Frequently Asked Questions
What is different about my new EMV chip card?
Your new card features an embedded chip that improves security every time you make a purchase at a chip enabled terminal. The chip technology creates a unique code for each transaction that is difficult to duplicate, reducing the risk of fraudulent charges on your account.
What does EMV stand for?
EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard and Visa. EMV chip technology is the global standard for chip-card transaction authentication.
When can I start using my new card?
Your card is ready to use once activated. Please call 844.572.2265 upon receipt to activate.
Will my metal EMV chip debit card work at the ATM? Will I be charged a fee?
Your new card will work just like your old card. You can withdraw cash at any ATM worldwide with surcharge fees waived up to $5 per transaction.
What if my merchant doesn’t have a chip-capable terminal? Will my card work?
Yes, just swipe your card’s magnetic strip.
Where can I use my debit card?
Use your card for purchases everywhere Mastercard is accepted. You can also use your debit card for purchases and payments made online or by phone.
Can I temporarily turn off, “freeze”, my debit card?
Absolutely. Professional Bank’s debit card can be turned on and off at your convenience by logging into online banking at www.professionalbankfl.com or via our mobile banking app.
When do I swipe? When do I insert?
When in doubt ask the merchant, or swipe your card. If the terminal is chip enabled, it will recognize that your card has a chip and prompt you to insert it.
How do I reset or change my PIN?
Please call 866.585.2933, call your Banker, or visit a Professional Bank branch.
What if I misplace my debit card?
Please log into online banking at www.professionalbankfl.com or via our mobile banking app to freeze your card and protect your account from unauthorized transactions. You can log back in anytime to re-activate.
Steps to take if your card is lost or stolen:
- Please freeze your card by logging into online banking at www.professionalbankfl.com or via our mobile banking app to protect your account from unauthorized transactions.
- Please contact us during regular business hours to cancel your card and order a new debit card at 786.483.1757 or 866.585.2933.
- Please review your account and notify us of any unauthorized transactions within 60 days
How to use your chip-enabled card:
- Insert the chip with your card face-up into chip enabled terminal. Keep the card in the terminal throughout the transaction.
- Follow the prompts on the terminal to approve the amount and enter your PIN or sign your name as directed.
- Remove your chip card when prompted.
Debit Card Travel Tips.
- You can temporarily freeze your debit card while traveling. Just log into online banking at www.professionalbankingfl.com or via our mobile banking app.
- Please help us to provide you with continued exceptional service when you travel by keeping your contact information current. If our fraud alert system detects foreign or unusual card activity your transaction may be declined, and/or your debit card may be suspended until we are able to contact you for verification.
- If you are currently traveling and need assistance, please call 866.585.2933.
- Travel Safely and Enjoy Your Trip!
- Treat your card like cash and always keep it in a safe place.
- Do not write your PIN number on your card.
- If your card is misplaced, lost or stolen you can freeze your card by logging into online banking at www.professionalbankfl.com or via our mobile banking app to protect your account against unauthorized transactions.
- Contact us to report your lost or stolen card.